Luke Janitch’s Work Log

  • Post author:
  • Post last modified:February 25, 2024
  • Reading time:8 mins read
  • Post category:Work Logs

Week 1 Log:

The augmented reality project has a simple goal in mind, with potential modularity and modifiable aspects. This goal being a simple speech to text device that can calculate who, and where human speech is originating from. Using this information (collected via a multitude of sensors) the device will be able to output the spoken speech into a readable transcript and display it on, or nearby, the source of the identifiable noises.

This past week has consisted of a singular AR team meeting in which we decided on the device’s hardware specifics. Through research and comparisons, as a team, we made final choices on the specific microphones, development board, camera, and temperature sensors needed for the project. We lightly touched on the final idea of the project and mainly emphasized on the goal for the semester. Which is to correctly interconnect our hardware along with our software in order to create a crude prototype. This prototype will consist of a temporary outside display in order to validate that all systems onboard the device are correctly operating, as well as for debugging purposes. It was touched on that the goal for next semester is to clean up the prototype and find a way to make the device comfortably wearable as well as powered in a convenient way. 

Attached below is a crude rendering of the end of semester goal we have set forward to achieve as a team:

As for the plans for next week I plan on starting, or completing, the following:

  • Research and identify what software will be used.
  • Identify possible compatibility issues with all prospective software.
  • Research TDOA techniques.
  • Search for information regarding all the interfacing hardware and possible connectivity issues.
  • Reconnect with the team and figure out what their next steps will be, as well as inform them of mine.

Week 2 Log:

Week 2 progressed a bit slower in terms of progress on the project due to shipping times for the hardware. However as a team we did meet and discuss some possible issues and concerns with the software side of the project. We brainstormed possible issues and voiced alternate options and routes to accomplish the same end goal. As for next week it is appearing that we will:

  • Get hands on with the ordered hardware and brainstorm connectivity between each piece.
  • Continue to identify possible compatibility issues with all prospective software.
  • Continue research TDOA techniques.
  • Work together with the team in order to figure out what the next steps will be after we discuss more on hardware in person.

Week 3 Log:

For week 3, the majority of our hardware required for the project arrived, specifically the Pi 4 board. We collaborated and discussed about different possible ways to run our software on the Pi 4. Additionally the team struck conversation about of the operating speed of OpenCV (an open source AI/machine learning software) and the possible delays it could cause while operating in tandem with the other software’s on the Pi 4. The search of another open source machine learning software was suggested. As a team we also set the weighting of our project goals as well. Basing the weights off of how crucial each specific goal was to the overall project scope. Required for this weeks submission is a design flowchart that can accurately represent the operation of our product:

As for next week we plan to:

  • Continue with hands on the hardware and brainstorm connectivity between each piece.
  • Continue to identify possible compatibility issues with all prospective software.
  • Continue research TDOA techniques.
  • Continue working together with the team in order to figure out what the next steps will be after we discuss more on hardware in person.

Week 4 Log:

Week 4 consisted of the group furthering our progress on the project tampering around with Rasbian, our OS of choice originally for the project. We as a team quickly back tracked to an install of Ubuntu instead due to compatibility issues regarding speech to text functionality. We eventually got speech to text to work on the PI 4 but as of right now it works very slowly. We will continue to improve our method throughout this next week.

  • Further develop our speech to text process to reduce time and increase efficiency.
  • Determine how to implement the actual project microphones so that the PI can use the intended input
  • Perhaps begin work on interfacing the PI camera as well.
  • Work together with the team in order to figure out what the next steps will be.

Week 5 Log:

During week 5 our group prepared for critical design review, and constructed our presentation for our project so that those attending would be able to criticize and encourage critical thinking pertaining to the specifics of the augmented reality glasses. We as a group have been seemingly behind compared to other projects that have started this semester. I believe this to be as a result of the hardware we ordered is now on back order. Due to this we have been delayed quite a bit in terms of what progress we should be achieving. We as a group have sorted out the back order problem and now await the shipping of our hardware. Next week we plan to:

  • Receive the ordered hardware
  • Begin physical implementation of the project
  • Begin to move what progress we have finished thus far onto a more powerful machine to achieve better results and to aid in debugging
  • Work together with the team in order to figure out what the next steps will be.