Ben Grumann’s Work Log

  • Post author:
  • Post last modified:February 5, 2024
  • Reading time:7 mins read
  • Post category:Work Logs

Week 3 Update:
This week the HMI team met and decided to use a Raspberry Pi to create out HMI, as they are open source, and very simple. Raspberry Pi also has a touchscreen that is designed to work directly with a Pi which will simplify the complication interfacing two separate hardware’s might lead to. Josh currently has one which allows us to get started without needing to wait for the ability to order one. We decided to use a library called guizero which is an extension of tkinter. This allows us to use two different levels of capabilities to expand our usage of the HMI. We went through a quick tutorial webpage to learn all the basics of guizero, and were able to create a simple UI window. We found a way to make the whole UI window full screen but need to work on finding a straight forward way to close it (I will put the command in here once I have a copy of the code). We were also able to allow for additional popups that would prevent work on the previous screen until the popup is closed (Also will put the code snippet here). We also discussed the possibility of dropping 480V power into the lab room to allow for a standard ABB robot controller to work at spec. If this is not a possibility we talked to our sponsor to get a smaller controller to use. If this is the route we need to go we might not be able to use joint 1 (the base swivel) on the arm.

Week 5 Update:
This week we met and made some decisions as to what we think should be available on the HMI. We added a window that will show what pins on the I/O pins are active and labeled all the pins with a display that can change color if a pin is on. We also wrote some code to test if we could control the I/O pins from a python code, and additionally with the press of a virtual button on a window that is created with guizero. We were also able to get a robot from Flex Automation up here this weekend! The plan for next week will be to further decide what needs to be in the HMI screens and then we will need to start interfacing with the robot to determine what more will need to be displayed. If we make it far enough we can also work on sending signals to the robot next week.

Week 7 Update:
This week we worked a little further on making the HMI more professional. We restarted and decided to use the grid layout that guizero offers to try to get a better more legible layout. We restructured our second window and added a grid layout to show all of the I/O pins on the Pi. We also added a button to turn a I/O pin on and off and tested its functionality by connecting an LED to it. We also had CDR this week.

Week 9 Update:
The robot is HERE! Flex Automation sent up a robot arm that we can interact with. We were able to connect it to power and were able to spin the joints using the provided controller. We also did some solo research to try to learn more about our respective areas of expertise with the robot. I looked into changing the pixel colors on the second window to show when an I/O pin is on or off, and into being able to detect only when a button/the mouse is clicked, and not when it is released for better control of the I/O.

Week 11 Update:

We have started looking into what we need to do to connect the robot to a computer first before attempting to connect to the Pi. We started by looking into the ABB documents and trying to find what ethernet port to use. We tried just connecting the robot to the LAN and WAN ports but couldn’t get the robot to establish a connection. We downloaded WireShark to start reading the packets being passed between the controller and the robot. We haven’t found a whole lot of useful information. We will talk to the sponsor about more information they can give us about connecting at our next meeting.

Week 13 Update:

Talking to the sponsor they recommended someone they’ve worked with in the past, Terry. We reached out to Terry but couldn’t reach him. We called back the following week and found out Terry has experience connecting ABB robots to RasberryPi’s. We need a software option called “PC Interface” to be able to use the ethernet ports on the controller. This piece of software is roughly $1700 and although Flex is willing to pay that price they would like us to check with ABB to see if it would be possible to get a student discount.

START OF SEMESTER 2:

At the end of the semester the robot will be able to be controlled by our RasberryPi. The instructions to the robot will be configurable. The Pi will be housed in a case. This week we would like to meet with Shane to see what he can help with for the encoder problems. I would also like to call ABB and possibly email them again to get a response by the end of the week. My only concern is the response time of ABB.

Week 3 Update:

We called ABB and after a very lengthy phone call we were instructed to email ABB. We sent an email and in the meantime we will start working on repairing joint 1. We looked in the lower part of the robot and tried to determine what might be wrong, Josh had replaced the encoder while working at Flex to try to fix the problem, with no luck. We have decided to set up a meeting with Shane for next week to see if he might be able to assist a diagnosis.

Week 4 Update:

I called ABB again and was given the number of someone in sales to contact. When I called him he told me to send him an email with some information about the robot and our project. While waiting for him to respond we worked on the encoder. We cleaned the encoder disk and cleaned up the soldered wires before taking the encoder off and re-soldering the connections. Joint 1 seems to be working a little, which is better than before, but it is throwing up some errors that we need to look into. Next week we need to get a response back from ABB and we should take another look at the errors and try to find a solution.